Saturday, June 16, 2012

DAY 49: "Having Fun Yet?"

Today we begin a phase that is deceptively easy: Evaluate.  In fact, it can be so easy that we are tempted to often do a half-hearted job at it - much to our peril as we continue on. 

ENGAGING THOUGHT
I have a confession to make: I'm an office-boy; a desk-jockey; a pencil-pusher; a keyboard-cruiser.  My vocation requires that I spend a great deal of time sitting, either in meetings or in study, or in preparation for meetings and studies.  Don't get me wrong - I absolutely love what I do and I know that I am smack-dab in the middle of God's will for my vocation and career - but I have to admit that there are days when I wish I could just be a dumb-strong-back and not think so much.  I love those rare times when I do have to do some difficult physical labor and blow the cobwebs out of my joints and muscles.  Even if it's really grueling physical stuff, it takes on a whole new satisfaction just because it's so different from my norm.

Pursuing your DREAM should be fun, I think.  Even if various elements of it are grueling and difficult it should be satisfying to know that you're in pursuit of the greatest thing God has for your life: His DREAM!  One of the simplest questions we should get in the habit of asking ourselves is just this: Am I having fun?  Not that every-single moment of our DREAM-pursuit must be entertaining and diverting; not that we cannot or should not have seasons that are rough to get through.  Overall, however, I believe God intends that when we are in full-pursuit of His DREAM for our lives we feel truly alive and enjoy a deep sense of satisfaction in our accomplishment.

It's important that we look back at all we've done so far and maybe relive a few of those great moments.  Maybe it was the moment that you were no longer wishing or fantasizing about a dream, but were now in pursuit of the DREAM.  Perhaps it was a moment that a newly acquired skill started becoming more fluid or automatic - you started owning that ability.  It could be that sense of pride in knowing that you are, in fact, taking charge of the trajectory of your life and pursuing all the God has for you.  Now that is fun!

ACTION STEP
For today's ACTION STEP I want you to be your own Cheerleader again.

Write out several statements of encouragement that highlight specific aspects of the pursuit that you are having fun with or seeing significant progress in.

EXAMPLES  
"Since starting the 60 Days of Dreaming challenge I have been having a blast taking the random ideas out of my head and putting them down on paper."

"As I pursue God's DREAM for my life I'm loving the sense that - finally! -  I am truly moving forward into His purpose for me."
Tomorrow we'll look backwards and see how far we've come. 

No comments:

Post a Comment